Saturday, April 28, 2012

Dividend Growth Portfolio, May 2012 Update



As April comes to a close, it's that time of the month again. It is time for a review of my Dividend Growth Portfolio! Here is the May 2012 update for my Dividend Growth Portfolio.


New Purchases
There were no new purchases this month.


Sales
There were no equities divestitures this month.

Intrinsic Dividend Changes
Exxon Mobil - $50.00 (quarterly dividend raised from 47 to 57 cents)
Johnson & Johnson - $28.80 (quarterly div raised from 57 to 61 cents)




April 2012 Annualized Dividend: $3795.36

+ $00.00 (from new purchases)
-  $00.00 (from sales)
+ $78.80 (from intrinsic changes)

May 2012 Annualized Dividend: $3874.16
End of 2012 Goal: $3800 to $4000

I've now reached the lower end of my end-of-2012 goal. Since I ended 2011 above the high end of the 2011 goal, reaching the low end of the 2012 target this quickly was very much expected.

One of the reasons I set a range as a goal is to avoid the feeling that I reached my goal early, and could slack off for the rest of the year. By having a range, I essentially have 1 hard goal and 1 soft goal to shoot for.

So far for 2012, the annualized dividends have increased 10.4% vs. end of 2011.
Of the 10.4%, 6.4% is from intrinsic growth, and 4.0% is from new funds and / or rebalancing.
I expect a few more dividend hikes in the back half of the year, which will hopefully bring my intrinsic growth up to 10%. I also expect some new funds in the back half of the year to bring the overall combined growth up to 20%, which is my long term annual goal.

Here is an up to date table of the portfolio



-C

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, you're almost there! Ever consider unit trusts? They distribute on a monthly basis. Where is Potash on the list? :) I got Rogers today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not a big fan of trusts because they're hard to understand, and dont really have branding or pricing power. the dividend strategy hinges on inflation protected income growth power, which you can only get via stocks

    i have Potash in the portfolios i manage for others. this is my personal portfolio :)

    congrats on Rogers! i would like to add more but am already a bit overweighted, so just holding for now.

    ReplyDelete